Applications are now available for the Onsite Wastewater Systems in Unsewered Communities Grant
Program. This new program will provide grants to eligible property owners residing in an unsewered
community to repair or upgrade their septic system.
- Property must be located in an unsewered community
- Property must have been constructed prior to July 1, 1983
- Please note: Properties that transferred ownership after July 1, 2009 are not eligible unless the
- transfer was exempt from time of transfer requirements
- To apply, property owners must work with their county sanitarian to determine eligibility and to
- complete the application.
- Applications will not be accepted directly from property owners.
- The program will remain open for applications until available funds are exhausted.
Award amounts will be determined based on the scope of the project and program funding availability.
The program is jointly administered by the Iowa Finance Authority (IFA) and the Iowa Department of
Natural Resources (DNR) in collaboration with county sanitarians. The program is funded through the
federal American Rescue Plan Act. More information on the program is available on the Iowa Finance
Authority’s Water Infrastructure Fund web page.