The Iowa Healthiest State and the Iowa League of Cities have partnered to create the Iowa Cities Walking Challenge as part of the Healthiest State 12th Annual Walk. Cities across Iowa will be pitted against each other to see who can hold the largest registered community-wide walk to encourage healthy habits and lifestyles.
City representatives are encouraged to sign their city up for a Healthiest State Annual Walk. The city with the highest percentage of their population registered will claim first place and a $1,000 cash prize to continue encouraging healthy habits in their community.
Registration is free and easy, follow the steps below to get started:
- Identify a staff member/city champion as the point of contact for your City Walk Challenge (this should be someone with a big network that can spread the word about the challenge)
- Determine a time and location of your city walk (examples of walk start locations include city park, school parking lot, city hall, community trails, etc.)
- Complete the Cities Challenge registration form by 5:00 p.m. on September 9, 2022 – https://form.jotform.com/221715675638161
- Upon submission of the registration form, you will receive a community toolkit with ways to promote the walk so that you can win a cash prize for improving the physical, social, and emotional well-being of your residents.
- Your residents MUST register for an individual* walk in order to be counted towards your total participation: www.iowahealthieststate.com/walk
- The deadline to register as an individual walker is Tuesday, September 27, 2022, at midnight.
- Spread the word and tell everyone to register.
- Stay tuned to hear if your city wins! The winning city will be announced at the Iowa League of Cities Annual Conference – Opening Luncheon on September 29, 2022.
Living a healthy lifestyle is important to feeling our best both physically and mentally and getting an hour or more of physical activity every day is key to leading a healthy life. Studies have shown that walking or exercising with others provides supportive relationships for behavior change. Walking within communities creates more opportunities for social cohesion and personal interactions while increasing safety, reducing pollution and boosting local businesses.
Show your excitement for the Iowa Cities Walking Challenge and the Healthiest State 12th Annual Walk by posting a photo from your walk and using the hashtag #WalkMoreConnectMore or #HSIWalk2022 on social media. For more information and to register for a walk, visit IowaHealthiestState.com/Walk.